Me Potvin joined the team of professionals at Paquette & Associates Attorneys in 2016 as Director of the litigation department, managing a dynamic and multidisciplinary team.
His practice focuses mainly in commercial litigation, tax litigation, construction, labor law and insolvency. He has developed an expertise in execution and supervision of extraordinary appeals, including seizures, injunctions and ‘Anton Piller’ orders.
Me Potvin started his career at Hart, Saint-Pierre where he practiced from 1995 to 2001, at which time he joined Lapointe Rosenstien Marchand Melançon as partner of the Litigation department until 2016.
Having started his career within a small firm, Me Potvin was able to get experience in transactional law, namely negotiation and drafting of commercial leases, commercial litigation and mergers and acquisition prior to concentrating exclusively in litigation.
Me Potvin has recently worked on the following mandates:
- Representation of a financial institution in a recourse against fiscal authorities before the Federal Courts and the Supreme Court of Canada;
- Representation of numerous creditors in the framework of a major restructuring scheme under the Companies Creditors Arrangements Act (CCAA);
- Representation of property owners regarding the relationship with their tenants, lease negotiation, relocation, termination of leases and eviction of tenants in default;
- Representation of notaries implicated in complex real estate litigation on behalf of the Fonds d’assurance responsabilité de la Chambre des notaires du Québec;
- Representation of a group of franchisees in order to defend their interest in a case of wrongdoing by the Franchisor;
- Representation of and counsel to one of Quebec and Ontario’s biggest general contractor in regards to dispute resolution before litigation; drafting of a contract, filing of securities and construction litigation;
- Representation of companies in cases of conflicts between shareholders;
- Acted on several occasion as independent supervisory attorney appointed by the Superior Court in execution of Anton Piller seizures;
- Speaker at conferences regarding construction law, civil procedure and extraordinary appeals (seizures, Anton Piller and Mareva injunctions);
- Acted as arbitrator in a real estate conflict between the tenant and the landlord.
Areas Of Expertise
- Civil and commercial litigation
- Bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring
- Taxation, estate planning and fiscal litigation
- Université de Montréal, LL.B., 1995
- Université Laval, B.A. political sciences, 1992
Professional Affiliations & Activities
- Québec Bar Association
- West Island of Montréal Chamber of Commerce